The festive season is a time of joy and celebration, but it’s also important to ensure the safety and security of your home. Whether you’re travelling for the holidays or hosting gatherings at home, taking proactive steps to protect your property can give you peace of mind. In this blog post, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide on keeping your house safe over the festive period.
Secure Your Doors and Windows:
- Check and reinforce door and window locks.
- Consider installing deadbolt locks for added security.
- Use security bars or rods for sliding doors and windows.
- Ensure all entry points are well-lit with outdoor lighting.
Install a Security System:
- Consider investing in a home security system with monitoring services.
- Display signs or stickers indicating that your home is protected by a security system, as this can act as a deterrent.
Smart Home Technology:
- Utilize smart home devices such as doorbell cameras, indoor cameras, and motion sensors.
- Set up smart lighting systems that can be controlled remotely to give the appearance of an occupied home.
Notify Trusted Neighbours:
- Inform trustworthy neighbours about your travel plans.
- Ask them to keep an eye on your home and collect mail/packages.
- Consider giving a spare key to a neighbour for emergencies.
- Store valuable items, such as jewellery and electronics, in a secure safe.
- Keep curtains or blinds closed to prevent outsiders from seeing inside.
Mail and Package Handling:
- Put a hold on your mail or have a neighbour collect it.
- Avoid having packages delivered to an empty house; consider using package delivery lockers or having items delivered to a neighbour.
Social Media Caution:
- Be mindful of what you share on social media regarding your holiday plans.
- Avoid broadcasting that your home will be vacant.
- Check smoke detectors and replace batteries if needed.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets and turn off holiday lights when not at home.
- Have a fire extinguisher readily available.
- Create an emergency contact list for neighbours and family.
- Have a first aid kit accessible.
- Ensure all family members are aware of emergency procedures.
By taking these proactive steps, you can enjoy the festive season with the confidence that your home is secure. Whether you’re traveling or hosting loved ones, a safe and protected home ensures a worry-free celebration. Happy holidays!