Written by Sophie Mansbridge, Leasing Manager
Applying for rentals can be confusing with so many platforms available to submit your application. At Wilsons, we only use Realestate.com for online rental applications (click here to download a hard copy application form or visit our office). This is a reasonably new platform, so we thought a step-by-step guide to submitting your application may be helpful if you are applying for rental properties.
To successfully apply for a property using Realestate.com.au, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Visit realestate.com.au or download the realestate.com.au app (iOS and Android)
- Visit the Rent section of our website or click the ‘Rent’ tab at the top of the page.
- Search the state, suburb or postcode that you are looking to rent in.
- Click on the property listing that you are interested in applying for.
- Click the red ‘Apply’ button
- You will then be prompted to create a ‘My Real Estate’ account or sign in to your My Real Estate account. If you do not have an account, you can create an account by clicking here.
Note: If using the realestate.com.au app, you can create an account by selecting the ‘Me’ tab followed by ‘Register’.
- The application page will prompt you to fill in all your personal and relevant information required to complete the application form. You can also invite other people to apply for the property with you as a joint application and the Tenant Check report.
- As you fill out the application with the information for your renter profile, you will notice green ticks against the sections that you have completed and filled. To send your application to the Rental Agency successfully, you must ensure all of the green ticks are highlighted.
- When all fields have been successfully filled, you will be able to click the red ‘Submit application’ button at the bottom of the page.
- After you have submitted your rental application, you will receive a page that will confirm that your application has been sent.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact our office or click here to view FAQ’s.
People often ask what they can do to improve their application and make it stand out above the rest. My advice is to always include a cover letter. Realestate.com have made this super easy. When applying, there is a section called ‘Cover Letter’, this is where you can add some extra information to personalise your application and let the Rental Provider learn a little more about you. Many people often include their hobbies, more about their pets and why they love the house that they are applying for. We have found that Rental Providers love reading applicants cover letters because it gives them an extra insight into who you are!